Every year, whether San Francisco Giants fans celebrated a championship, endured a heartbreaking playoff loss or a season that ended after game 162, today is a special day the following season.
Pitchers and catchers report today in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Giants fans are rejoicing once again that another year of baseball is upon us.
Every year has many questions and beat writer Hank Schulman laid out some of the most pressing issues as we head into Spring Training.
Giants fans know the issues:
- Who starts in left field?
- Who is the fifth starter?
- Who earns the last bullpen spots?
- Is there a battle at third base?
- Will the WBC hurt the players during the season?
But today is about a new start and a new season. Giants prospect Tyler Beede, who some fans are hoping will make the Opening Day roster, talked about his enthusiasm for what many may look at as just another Monday.
More from Around the Foghorn
- SF Giants: Checking in on the Tony Watson trade
- San Francisco Giants fans need this Captain Brandon Belt shirt
- SF Giants: Brandon Belt’s surge has powered winning streak
- SF Giants hitting prospects week in review (8/28-9/10)
- SF Giants: Pitching depth bolstered with waiver claim
Fans are going to want to see if Derek Law and Hunter Strickland can be leaders in the bullpen. They are going to want to see if Matt Moore, Eduardo Nunez and Will Smith can have a bigger impact with the Giants with a full season in orange and black.
Ultimately, today is a day of celebration, where every pitcher gets a fresh start with a strong arm and no runners already in scoring position as they come into the game. Today is a day where every catcher has fresh legs and doesn’t have to fear a day game after a night game or having to spring out of a crouch in extra innings to get the lead runner heading to third with nobody out.
Today is a day to celebrate Bumgarners and Poseys reporting for camp. Congratulations Giants fans. We made it through another offseason.
First practice for pitchers and catchers is tomorrow, February 14. Position players are scheduled to report on the 16th, with the first full squad practice on the 17th.