The San Francisco Giants got a much-needed win over the Arizona Diamondbacks heading into the All-Star Break. Madison Bumgarner and Buster Posey ensured the Giants had all the runs they needed by both hitting Grand Slams. Giants 8, Dbacks 4. The win today gave the Giants the series win before the 4-day All-Star Break.
Oh, and then there was this:
Per @EliasSports, this is the first time in MLB history a pitcher and his catcher hit a grand slam in the same game.
— Alex Pavlovic (@AlexPavlovic) July 13, 2014
That’s right. This is the first time in MLB history that battery mates have both hit Grand Slams in the same game. In fact, Bumgarner is only the second pitcher in MLB history to have more than one grand slam in a single season. The last time it happened? 1966 by Tony Cloninger, and he hit both of his in the same game for the Braves.
If that’s not enough, Bumgarner’s 12 RBIs this season is the most by a Giants pitcher since 1966 when Juan Marichal had 15 RBIs. By the way, 1966 seemed to be a good year for hitting pitchers.
Bumgarner’s 12 RBI this season are the most by a Giants pitcher since Juan Marichal had 15 in 1966 #SFGiants
— #SFGStats (@SFG_Stats) July 13, 2014
Other good things: Hitting, Defense, Bullpen
- Pablo Sandoval went 3-for-4 today
- Bumgarner was 2-for-3 with the grand slam AND a double
- Hunter Pence made a great grab in right field that saved a run
- Sandoval (and the team really) had some good defense today
- Pence threw Inciarte out at 3B
- Bumgarner picked off Inciarte at 2B
- Joaquin Arias and Ehire Adrianza both had nice hits today
- Sergio Romo and Santiago Casilla pitched the 8th and 9th perfectly
- Javier Lopez and Juan Gutierrez finished out the 7th inning perfectly
- Bullpen did their job today well
Not so good: Health, Pence, Morse
- Brandon Belt was scratched from he lineup with a stiff back. Marco Scutaro and Angel Pagan need to cover their mouths when they cough or something
- Brandon Crawford needs the All-Star break badly. He was 0-fer at the plate, but did draw 2 walks
- Scutaro was out of the lineup because his back was stiff after playing yesterday
- Pence was 0-for-4, as was More (o-for-3)