MLB’s best players will take home 2013 GIBBY trophies – greatness in baseball awards that is based on votes by media, front-office personnel, MLB alumni, fans at MLB.com and the Society for American Baseball Research.
There are nominees in 22 categories and fans can vote on the best players and highlights of the 2013 season. Vote today in all of the categories below. Plus you can re-live the 2013 season and watch all the Must-C moments in one place.
Categories for players:
- MLB MVP
- Starting Pitcher- Madison Bumgarner, 13-9, 2.77 ERA, 199 K’s, 1.03 WHIP – “Bumgarner was terrific in 2013, posting the National League’s fifth-lowest ERA and WHIP and making a big league-best 19 straight starts with three earned runs or fewer allowed from June 8 through season’s end.”
- Setup Man
- Defensive Player
- Breakout Hitter
- Breakout Pitcher
- Comeback Player
- Postseason MVP
Below are the categories for Must C moments (noted where Giants moments were nominated):
- Play of The Year – Hunter Pence‘s clutch catch saved Tim Lincecum‘s no-hitter, July 13 at SD – “A sinking line drive to right field appeared ticketed to end Tim Lincecum’s bid at a no-hitter with just four outs to go, but a shoestring catch by Hunter Pence kept the gem intact and became a sensational subplot for one of the best starts of the 2013 season.”
- Moment of the Year
- Hitting Performance
- Pitching Performance – Lincecum’s No Hitter, W, 9 IP, 0 H, 0 R/0 ER, 4 BB, 13 K, July 13 at SD “Tim Lincecum, whose stuff might not be as overwhelming as it once was, harkened back to his ace days in his final start of the season’s first half, no-hitting the Padres in a 13-strikeout masterpiece. The right-hander coaxed 29 swings-and-misses in the gem, a personal high that matched Randy Johnson‘s total for the most in a no-hitter since 2000.”
- Pitching Performance- Petit’s Almost Perfect Performance- W, 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R/0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, Sept. 6 vs. ARI, “Yusmeiro Petit barely missed baseball immortality, but he gained legitimacy after falling just one strike short of the second perfect game in San Francisco Giants history and settling for a one-hit shutout against Arizona.”
- Walk-Off - Pa-Gone’s Inside-the-Park-Homerun- May 25 vs. COL, “Angel Pagan pummeled a pitch that stayed in the park, and the end result was almost as exciting as it was rare. The outfielder circled all the bases after belting the ball before sliding headfirst into home for the first walk-off inside-the-park shot by a Giant in 83 years.”
- Cut4 Topic - Child’s play, Sept. 8 vs. ARI – “A fan made a great barehanded grab on a foul ball during a game at AT&T Park, securing the baseball and the plaudits of those around him while holding a baby.”
- Postseason Moment
Winners will be announced live from the Winter Meetings in Orlando, Florida.