Feb 22, 2014; Glendale, AZ, USA; Chicago White Sox relief pitcher Mitchell Boggs (43) poses for a photo during photo day at Camelback Ranch. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
The Giants signed RHP reliever Mitchell Boggs to a minor league contract today. Boggs was released by the White Sox on July 1 after a rough season with the Sox’s Triple-A affliate in Charlotte, posting a 9.50 ERA in 25 relief appearance. His record was 2-3 with one save this season in the minors.
Most remember 30-year old Boggs as the elite set-up pitcher for the Cardinals in 2012. Then his contract was purchased by the Rockies mid-season 2013. Here are the most current transactions for Boggs from Baseball Reference.
- July 9, 2013: Contract purchased by the Colorado Rockies from the St. Louis Cardinals.
- December 2, 2013: Granted Free Agency.
- February 7, 2014: Signed as a Free Agent with the Chicago White Sox.
- March 23, 2014: Released by the Chicago White Sox.
- March 30, 2014: Signed as a Free Agent with the Chicago White Sox.
- July 1, 2014: Released by the Chicago White Sox.
Boggs was originally drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 5th round of the 2005 MLB June Amateur Draft from University of Georgia (Athens, GA).