Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
Spring training is already underway, but tomorrow is the day you’ve really been waiting for: the first spring training game of the year. With Ryan Vogelsong on the mound, the Giants are scheduled to take on the Angels on Saturday at 12:05pm.
- A bit of middle-school theatrics ensued last Friday when Melky Cabrera, now part of the Blue Jays’ organization, told reporters that he had not been approached about a 2012 World Series ring. From Hank Schulman’s story: “I feel I deserve it,” Cabrera said. “I gave everything I had to the organization, but I understand if they decide not to give me one.”
- Ryan Theriot remains a free agent. According to The Advocate, the Giants are still in the mix of teams he’s talking with, but no progress appears to have been made so far.
- Should Theriot settle on a new club for the 2013 season (and it looks like he may, from this tweet), Bochy already has some replacements in mind: Tony Abreu, Kenuske Tanaka, and Wilson Valdez.
- A few more roster insights from Bochy: Nick Noonan and Brock Bond could be vying for a back-up infield job; Hector Sanchez may find a place in the lineup even when Posey is playing; Heath Hembree is a “long hsot” to make the 25-man. ]h/t Hank Schulman here, here, and here]
- Angel Villalona has reported for camp, rounding out the Giants’ 40-man roster and effectively lifting his name from the restricted list after ironing out some visa issues. All reports indicate that Villalona is looking to put his controversial personal problems in the past and get back on the right track with the club.
- As of Wednesday afternoon, Javier Lopez is still considered day-to-day. Schulman reports that Javier might miss 3-4 days while his hand heals from Madison Bumgarner‘s errant pitch earlier this week.
Quotes of the week
Spring training schedule
February 23 — Giants vs. Angels, 12:05pm
February 24 — Giants @ Cubs, 12:05pm
February 25 — Giants vs. White Sox, 12:05pm
February 26 — Giants @ Dodgers, 12:05pm
February 27 — Giants @ Angels, 12:05pm
February 28 — Giants vs. Mariners, 12:05pm