San Francisco Giants’ minor league teams have gotten off to a decent start this spring. Below are the stats, standings and notable players as of 4/17/14 around the Giants’ farm system.
Fresno Grizzlies – Triple-A
Standings: The Grizzlies won tonight after a five-game losing streak. They beat the Sacramento River Cats (Oakland A’s Triple-A team) bringing their record to a 5-10 in the 2014 season.
Pitching- 6th in the Pacific Coast League with a 5.15 ERA.
- SP Jason Berken (1-1) leads the pitching staff with a 3.38 ERA in 16 innings pitched.
- SP Mike Kickham (0-2) holds a 3.52 ERA in 15.1 innings pitched.
- Heath Hembree has two saves in five games with a 0.00 ERA in 4.2 innings pitched.
Batting – 9th in the Pacific Coast League with a .273 team batting average.
- Adam Duvall (3B) has been the team’s offensive leader and leads the team in home runs (6) with a .295 batting average and 18 RBIs in 45 at bats.
- Andrew Susac (C) has a .333 batting average with two home runs.
- Tony Abreu (2B) has started the season playing very well after the Giants put him through waivers and then signed him to a minor league contract. He’s batting .327 with 2 home runs in 15 games.
Richmond Flying Squirrels – Double- A
Standings: Richmond beat Altoona 2-1 tonight and Clayton Blackburn (1-1) earned the win and Derek Law (3) the save. The Flying Squirrels are currently in first place in the Eastern League division with a 9-5 record.
Pitching – 2nd in the Eastern League with a 3.14 ERA.
- SP Blackburn (1-1) leads the team with a 1.76 ERA in 15.1 innings pitched.
- SP Kyle Crick (1-0) and top Giants’ prospect has a 2.35 ERA in 7.2 innings pitched.
- Law (RP) has three saves in six games and 6.1 innings pitched with a 1.42 ERA.
Batting – 7th in the Eastern League with a .248 team batting average.
- Angel Villalona (1B) leads the Flying Squirrels in home runs (3) with a .311 batting average.
- Tyler Graham (OF) holds the highest batting average with a .348 in 46 at bats.
- Brett Krill (OF) is also having a fantastic spring, batting .308 in 39 at bats.
San Jose Giants – High Class A
Standings: San Jose won their first series tonight against the Bakersfield Blaze 9-2, to bring their record to a 7-8 with a three-game winning streak.
Pitching: 5th in the California League with a 3.78 ERA.
- SP Pat Young (1-0) is leading the pitching staff with a 2.70 in 10 innings pitched.
- SP Jeff Soptic is also off to a great start with a 2.79 ERA in 9.2 innings pitched.
- Tyler Mizenko (RP) is a new to San Jose and currently has three saves for the Giants.
Batting: 6th in the California League with a .248 team batting average.
- Elliott Blair (OF) and Ben Turner (C) both lead the team in home runs this spring with three.
- Blair is leading the team with a .357 batting average, 3 home runs and 9 RBIs.
- Mac Williamson (RF) is off to a slow start this season with a .235 batting average with one home run.
Augusta GreenJackets- Class A
Standings: Augusta lost to Lexington tonight 4-5 bringing their record to 8-7 this spring.
Pitching: 6th in the South Atlantic League with a 2.68 ERA.
Batting: 11th in the South Atlantic League with a .231 team batting average.
Tags: San Francisco Giants