August baseball has come to an end. A lot of things happened, good and bad, so we’re going to recap it all right here. Given that the San Francisco Giants, with the exception of a miracle, has only 1 month of baseball left this season, it’s probably a good time to also start looking at how next season will shape up for them. We’ll do that with a few individual player recaps as well, for August, and for the season and their likelihood of returning in a Giants uniform.
- Brandon Belt has found his swing.
- Angel Pagan returned to the lineup.
- Pablo Sandoval lost weight.
- Jeff Francoeur got DFA’d.
- Chad Gaudin, one of the Giants best pitchers this season, went on the DL.
- So it Matt Cain, his first time ever on the DL.
- Andres Torres is likely done as a Giant after needing surgery.
- Sergio Romo recorded his 30th save of the season (and has continued to add to that number).
- The Augusta GreenJackets, the Giants Low-A affiliate, are the Southern Division Second Half Champions.
As far as the team goes, the Giants went 13-15 during August. They hit just .244, 9th in the NL. They hit 13 home runs, 14th in the NL. They scored just 94 runs and hit 86 RBIs, 12th in the NL. If there is any bright side in their hitting stats, it’s that they were tied in 1st place with the number of triples with 9. I’m sure playing in AT&T Park attributed to that number.