Andrew Baggarly did a Q & A chat over at CSN Bay Area this morning and dropped some pretty meaty tidbits about what’s currently happening with the Giants and what could be coming in the offseason, or even sooner if the Giants don’t turn the season around ASAP. I’m going to start at the beginning and work my way through some of the more interesting pieces.
Baggs said we picked him for for right-handed hitting OF, with better bat than Juan Perez. Giants likely hoping he’ll be a Pat Burrell “lightning in a bottle,” and really no risk associated with him since it’s a minor league contract and he comes super cheap.
Tension on Team?
In response to whether Tim Lincecum was pissed his teammates let him down in the 6th last night, Baggs said he wouldn’t speculate about that particular issue, but that, “there’s a lot of dirty laundry that hasn’t been aired.” When asked what the “dirty laundry” was he said, “The usual stuff. Finger pointing, grumbling, etc. All of that stuff happens to some degree when you’re having a season like the Giants are having.”
- Doesn’t see Lincecum offer being a priority for next season, though Hunter Pence should be an “automatic”
- He thinks Pablo Sandoval will be traded in the offseason or won’t be kept once he’s a free agent
- Also talk of the idea of optioning Sandoval to Fresno this season…deadline on that is August 1st
- If Giants get any worse, anyone, including Pence, Lincecum, or Barry Zito could be traded by end of July (poster asked specifically about these 3)
- Sees more growth from Belt this year, would like to see what happened if he was kept in 3-hole for a while
- Again, good chance Lincecum will be with a team not named the Giants next season
- Asked about moving Posey to 3B in future, said was “interesting thought, isn’t it?”
- Thinks the Dodgers will win the NL West
- Sergio Romo could be shopped
- Sandoval’s weight could be part of the dirty laundry mentioned
Also, this guy is an idiot. “Why is the best hitter on the team being BENCHED?”
It was a pretty interesting and informative chat, even if Baggs refused to answer the ever elusive question by my co-editor, Stuart, about when we’ll stop carrying 3 catchers on the roster.
Either way, make sure you head over and read the full chat transcript and keep in mind, these are only one man’s opinions on what may or may not happen. There is a lot of baseball yet to be played this season.