As Opening Day inches closer, the Giants’ roster is slowly starting to shape up for the season. This week, the team revealed a glimpse of the 2013 rotation, swapped prospects with the American League, and delivered a 1-1-3 record during their first week of Cactus League competition.
- Triple-A third baseman Conor Gillaspie was traded to the White Sox for single-A RHP Jeff Soptic. As Gillaspie was out of options, Andrew Baggarly points out that he would’ve been DFA’d and placed on waivers had the Giants not struck a deal with Chicago. Hank Schulman’s take: “The primary reason for Gillaspie trade was opening a spot on #sfgiants 40-man, but it’s not for [Brian] Wilson, or any one guy. Just flexibility.”
- As for those left on the 40-man roster, Bruce Bochy might already have a few ideas about his 25-man squad. Last Friday, Hank Schulman reported the skipper’s likely regular season rotation: Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner, Tim Lincecum, Barry Zito, and Ryan Vogelsong. With Cain starting against Clayton Kershaw in L.A. come Opening Day, this would give Zito a chance to open the season at AT&T Park.
- From Andrew Baggarly: “Looks like Pablo Sandoval has added a step or two to his pre-batting ritual this year.” More helmet taps? Blowing a bubble or two? Three swings to pay homage to his trifecta of World Series home runs?
- Bruce Bochy and Brian Sabean could receive generous extensions from Larry Baer in the near future. According to Schulman, talks have been slow after the pair’s 2014 options were both exercised over the offseason. Two things we know for sure. First, the two will garner more than a single year. Second, per Hank’s story: “Sabean and Bochy are believed to be among the five highest-paid GMs and managers in baseball, respectively.”
- Anxious for the next televised Giants game? If you missed MLB Network’s airing on Wednesday, you can find upcoming showings on the official radio/TV broadcast schedule here.
Quotes of the week
Bochy on Panda’s first-to-home dash: “We kid him. It’s hard to carry that piano on his back. Then he stopped to play a song betw. 3rd & home
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) February 23, 2013
Buster just signed his 2013 contract in the clubhouse. If I were signing for that number ($8 million) I’d need paramedics standing by.
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) February 22, 2013
Spring training schedule
February 28 – Giants vs. Mariners, 12:05pm
March 1 – Giants @ Athletics, 12:05pm
March 2 – Giants (SS) vs. Cubs, 12:05pm
Giants (SS) @ Royals, 12:05pm
March 3 – Giants vs. Diamondbacks, 12:05pm
March 4 – Giants @ White Sox, 12:05pm
March 5 – Giants vs. Indians, 12:05pm
March 6 – Off day
March 7 – Giants @ Indians, 12:05pm
March 8 – Giants vs. Dodgers (SS), 12:05pm